What is a Chamber of Commerce?
A Chamber of Commerce (also referred to in some circles as a board of trade) is a form of business network, e.g., a local organization of businesses whose goal is to further the interests of businesses. Business owners in towns and cities form these local societies to advocate on behalf of the business community. The chamber of commerce is an organization of citizens who are investing their time and money in a community development program-working together to improve the economic, civic, and cultural well-being of the area.
There are two primary functions of a chamber of commerce:
It acts as a spokesman for the business and professional community and translates the group thinking of its members into action;
It renders a specific product or services type that can be most effectively be beneficial by a community organization and to its members as a whole.
How does it function?
- The Chamber’s mission is creating an environment in which businesses can prosper.
- The main function of a Chamber of Commerce is to promote interest in local business possibilities.
- Money, Planning, Inspiration, and Guidance, depends on the members working vigorously on the committees of their choice.
- Careful study is made of the community needs and an action plan is designed. The goal of the Action Plan is to improve the economic welfare of the community.
- The Chamber works for industrial and business development, which supports new residents with their revenues for our community.
- It provides educational opportunities and assists businesses with the latest marketing and promotional techniques.
- Potential customers are referred to members on a daily basis.
- The Chamber works continuously for the growth of the city, business expansion and population increase to insure the professional a prosperous place in which to make a living.